Mon 10th Dec
enquiry line: (0797) 3989831

seen passing over it twice a day on Wednesdays and Saturdays in the summer. It was built of Dent Marble between 1871 and 1875.

(12) Follow the path down into the pretty hamlet of Stonehouse where evidence can be found of it's industrial past. High Mill and Low Mill (remains only) once used water power for spinning and then became factories for cutting and polishing 'Dent marble' -

an ornamental limestone. There is the remains of a lime kiln on the left of the bridge clearly visible from the road. Cross over the bridge and follow the road back towards Cowgill.

(13) The road follows the river for most of the way. On the left is the Sportsman's Inn which offers real ales, home-cooked meals, and bed and breakfast. Continue down the road watching out for Red Squirrels which have been seen in this area. Cross another bridge at Lea Yeat. The cottage adjoining the bridge was built in 1701 as a Quaker meeting house. Turn right at the T-junction up the hill to Dent Station where the views open up again across Dentdale.

spacer graphic